Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dumb Cake

Look yummy?? Well it's not real. At least the cake part. The icing is real. (Notice the cute cake stand I have and have yet to use:) I've used cake dummies before:


There is a fake layer in each of these cakes.... hopefully you can't tell which layers are which; although, if you've read other posts, I might have given it away.

Anyway, what do all of these have in common?? They're covered in fondant. So I was out to find out if I could use a cake dummy only covered in buttercream. That might seem like it'd be an obvious answer, but I'd rather try it first to make sure. Result: it can be done. It's not as easy as it seems. Not that it's really difficult, but the cake moved around a lot while trying to ice it because the styrofoam didn't stick to the cake board like cake would. I'm sure there's a way to fix this... And since I used non-colored buttercream (only slightly yellow because of the butter) it was tricky to tell if it was covered completely or not. Surpass-able issues, for sure.

Cake dummy: check (I did have to wait for them to finally arrive)
Iced: check
Decoration:......

As I mentioned in my last post, I am incredibly indecisive. I could decorate it however I wanted, but only to decide. I iced the cake Saturday. I finally decorated today (Wednesday). I still hadn't really decided but I wanted to do something.

This is what one side of the cake looks like

Again, as I mentioned in my last blog, swirls are my "go-to" decoration. I can't help it. I love them. But these are a different take on them. Not like others I have done. But the look wasn't the elegant look I really wanted. So I kept trying.
 Again, kind of a "swirl" theme, but more intricate.
 Couldn't get a good picture, but wanted to post instead of wait till sunlight tomorrow, ha
My inspiration: my china (another thing I love -- isn't it gorgeous!?)
Another not-good-lighting pic. Maybe I'll take some more tomorrow. But I'm happy with how it turned out. It was fun too. I enjoy piping. 

There's a bridal shower this weekend and our family and friends day at church Sunday. I'll be making cupcakes for the shower and I've got several ideas for the fellowship on Sunday! Saturday = Baking :)

Now I need to hit the hay! No longer working nights (hooray!) but my hubs fell asleep at 8ish and I just wasn't ready to sleep. The downfall of being productive at night: I have this energy and then end up going to bed too late. I'll be feeling it when my alarm goes off... night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment