Sunday, July 3, 2011

Double Dessert

I have two recipes for you guys today!! :)


There are a few people at our church who will have lunch at the church after services. A friend of mine asked us last week why we hadn't been there. She mentioned there had been no desserts. Ha, of course that's what I usually contribute :) So I thought I'd make up some desserts!! My mom used to make what we called "Dessert Pizza." It's a sugar cookie covered with a cream cheese frosting and topped with fruit. Since not everyone would like that (such as my husband - he dislikes fruit), I decide to make a second option. With my husband's input, we choose a delicious recipe from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.


Of course, I didn't think of all this during the 5 or so hours my husband was at a friend's house. No.... I figure it all out once my husband is home and we're having dinner and watching a movie. And all I can think about is going to make the desserts.... weird?? Probably. But true. (Note: I didn't know he was going to be gone for that long!)


So which to start with?? Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Don't worry, I'll type out the ingredients. But isn't the recipe card adorable? The recipe book is too! I got it at Hallmark. It's just for desserts. Perfect!


1 roll (16 oz) refrigerated sugar cookies
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
1 cup Mini (the new Tiny ones) Reese's Peanut Butter Cups


I can chocolate frosting plus 2 tbsp of peanut butter for topping

  • Begin by lining a 9x13 dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
  • Press the sugar cookie dough evenly on the bottom and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.


  • While that is baking, mix the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolk, peanut butter, and vanilla until smooth.
  • Fold in the mini Reese's cups

 **Warning:
If you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, beware. The minis are also very delicious and so easy to pop in your mouth.


  • Spread the mixture over the crust carefully. The mixture is kind of thick and the crust is still warm. Just pay attention when you're spreading it.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes. 20 worked for me.
  • Allow to cool. It took a little while to cool. It was still warm by the time I decided I was going to do the topping and hit the hay!
  • Take the chocolate icing (lid and aluminum wrapper OFF) and heat in the microwave for 10 second increments until pourable but still thick. I did 2 - 10 second rounds and 1 - 5 second round.
  • Mix in the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and pour over bars. I spread it around to make it even.
  • Place in refrigerator to set and once firm, remove foil and cut in squares.


 See the mini Reese's Cups??
 There you go. Ready for the next dessert??

Dessert Pizza

I followed a recipe my grandmother gave me, but there are variations. I know recently Lauren from Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. did a similar post. Definitely check it out!!

1 package (16.5 oz) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
Your choice of fruit toppings

Simple enough?
  • Spread the cookie dough on a 12" pizza pan. I sprayed mine with non-stick spray but it still kinda stuck. You could line with aluminum foil.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10-14 minutes.
  • Cool to room temperature. It didn't take very long, but maybe that's because I was distracted with other desserts.
  • Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth and blended. Spread over cool cookie.
  • Wait to add the fruit until you are about to serve. Store in refrigerator until then.
  • Choose whatever fruit you prefer. Cut to bite size pieces. I find it harder to cut pieces when you are also trying to cut pieces of fruit. 
  • Arrange on "pizza" however you prefer!!
My pan is huge so I used this pie crust mold to try to keep it a neat circle 



 Decorate!! It's so colorful; I love it!

 The kicker? They didn't have a meal at church today. So if anyone wants some dessert, head over to my house!


After two recipes, you'd think that'd be it, but no! I want to share more if you can take it. In my free time yesterday I decided to practice my gumpaste rose. I just have some pictures for you.

 (can you tell I love my China?)

I also tried out a few little blossoms with the new Wilton Gumpaste  Kit I got. I really wanted to try some new flowers from there, but (annoyingly) the "kit" didn't actually include everything you need! Ha, how do you like that. (Answer: not very much at all...). But I plan on getting the additional supplies in the near future to practice! In the mean time, it won't hurt to work more on those roses.


Guess what?? No, there isn't any more... right now. I have a cake to do this afternoon! So I plan to share that with you as soon as I can. 

1 comment:

  1. Those chocolate peanut butter bars look positively deadly! Yum!

    ReplyDelete