Saturday, November 19, 2011

Turtle Turtle

Ha, remember that? "Turtle, Turtle". It's from some ridiculous movie that wasn't any good, but had that hilarious guy from SNL in it. The one who did the church lady back in the day. Dana Carvey! The movie was Master of Disguise. Anyway, that's about the only thing I remember from the movie.

Wondering where this is going?? Ha, well I made turtles! As a diplomat for the Chamber of Commerce, I attended a ribbon cutting for Alabama Magazine. They let us have a copy of the most recent issue. Because of the upcoming holidays, they had several recipes that include pecans. Funny though... I used peanuts instead of pecans. Honestly, I don't really like pecans. It's just a flexible recipe :)


Here is the recipe from the magazine:

1 (12 ounce) package of semisweet chocolate morsels
1 1/4 cups pecan halves
28 caramels, unwrapped
2 tablespoons of whipping cream 

Microwave the chocolate in a glass bowl on high for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after a minute.Stir until smooth; cool until slightly thickened.
Mine actually took 2 minutes, but that's probably because they weren't really in a bowl. It still worked.

Drop chocolate by tablespoonfuls onto a wax paper-lines baking sheet, shaping into 16 circles.
Reserve remaining chocolate.
Arrange 4 pecans over each circle; chill until firm.

Or whatever nut you prefer :)

Place caramels and cream in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until caramels melt. Stir after one minute. Let stand for four minutes or until slightly thickened.

Spoon caramel mixture evenly over pecans.

Nice and even, huh.

Microwave remaining chocolate on high 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Quickly spread over caramel mixture. Refrigerate until firm.
Before refrigeration

After refrigeration


Note: try to keep the caramel off of the wax paper. It sticks preeetty well.

So mine aren't the prettiest, but I don't care. Even though I don't know how they are supposed to look. Honestly, I didn't really like them either. But it was because I don't like semi-sweet chocolate unless it is the additive to something else delicious. Example: chocolate chip cookies. This was too much semi-sweet. Yuck. I'm actually making some right now with milk chocolate... I better go check on them!!

Update: the batch I made with milk chocolate... delicious!! I was very generous with the peanuts and caramel. Yum. The only thing with the milk chocolate is that I don't think it hardens like semi-sweet. After sitting out a while, they got soft, so I kept them in the fridge. But still delicious! I highly recommend them!




0 comments:

Post a Comment