Monday, August 8, 2011

Two Princesses

This weekend I did cakes for twin girls turning two! Originally I was supposed to do them last weekend but I'm glad they got postponed since I was busy last weekend! The mother of the girls has been discussing these cakes with me for a while. We went through a few ideas then she settled on Cinderella and Ariel. I can't imagine raising twins, especially of the same gender. It was important that the cakes were equal in every way. Same amount of decorations, etc.

Once I knew the themes for each, I planned it all out. I thought they would be so cute, but after last week and how hectic it was, I took my time this weekend. I did what I had planned to do, but I wonder if I had started earlier and had more time if I could've done more to the decorations. I also waited because I didn't want to put fondant decorations on the buttercream too far in advance. But the mother said she liked them so I suppose that's all that matters!

I carved out everything with an exacto knife. I think that's why I thought it'd be really impressive, but I think it's one of those things that is tedious and takes some talent, but once it's done, it's not that obvious that it was kind of difficult to make. Ha, does that make sense? I'm happy with Cinderella and Ariel, but I think I'm a little disappointed with the cakes as a whole. Live and learn.


So in case you didn't notice, Cinderella does not have a face. I'm amazed Ariel has one. Honestly, I was running late in having this cake done on time. I didn't realize how long it would take me to finish up. The faces are the hardest. I was so happy with the cutouts already, I didn't really think much of the faces. I managed Ariel, but couldn't get Cinderella's to work and I was already late to deliver. So no face. But c'mon, she still looks good :) And the not-so-impressive pictures (including the enormous shadow of hand holding camera) were due to my tardiness. But I had to get pictures!

Ariel:

 Under the Sea....
 Life is better.... ?? Haha, I should rewatch this movie.

Cinderella:
 Ok, my "carriage" is kinda sad.... 


There's just something about these cakes... they could've been better. Hmmm...

On to a cake I love.... The wedding that I did the cake for last weekend had some crazy connections. People from the church where I live now and people from the high school I went to 400 miles away. The photographer went to elementary school with me! I haven't seen her in about 10 years or so. She happened to be related to the groom too. She was so kind and gave me some pictures of the cake!! She did such an amazing job with all of her photos and I'm so excited to have professional pictures of my cakes!! She started her own photography business called Whiskersnaps!! I think that is so impressive. Check out these shots:




Sigh... I think I'm plenty hard on myself so I'm going to be quite frank. This cake makes me smile. I love it. Anywho... what do you think of the new blog look? I decided I really didn't like the original design. Not sure why I chose it. We'll see how long this one lasts. (I think the rectangles on the right look like a stacked cake :) I'm definitely new to all of this too so lots of learning to do.

Hopefully tomorrow I can share some of my new toys! One in particular. Woohoo!

Oh my goodness, it's midnight. That could explain why I am so tired :) Night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment